Strong Customer Authentication (SCA), a new rule coming into effect on September 14, 2019, as part of PSD2 regulation in Europe, will require changes to how your European customers authenticate online payments. You can read more about this here.
Our proprietary Stripe payment gateway extension is not compatible with the new requirements and is being discontinued. The official WooCommerce Stripe Payment Gateway extension can now be used instead - Subscriptio supports this payment gateway extension for automatic payments starting from version 2.3.9.
To make sure Stripe payments continue to work properly:
- Upgrade Subscriptio to version 2.3.9 (or later if available).
- Ensure WooCommerce Stripe Payment Gateway extension is installed, configured, enabled and tested. This extension comes with a bunch of different payment methods; Subscriptio is compatible with the main one Stripe – Credit Card (Stripe).
- Go to Subscriptions > Settings > Gateways, read through the migration instructions and start the migration process when ready.
- Check if the next few recurring payments are processed successfully. Get in touch with us if you notice anything unusual or have any concerns.
- To make sure subscriptions are not cancelled right away if the recurring payment fails (banks may require manual customer payment verification after the SCA changes even for existing subscriptions), make sure you have overdue period enabled and set it to at least several days to allow customers to make their next payment manually and thus complete the extra verification requested by their bank. You can configure overdue period under Subscriptions > Settings > Flow.
- Ensure that the Subscription payment overdue email is enabled under WooCommerce > Settings > Emails if you want customers to be informed when they need make a manual payment after a failed automatic recurring payment.
If you do not currently use the bundled Subscriptio Stripe payment gateway extension, you can safely ignore this information.